After reading The Dutch House, I was craving a Dutch Baby pancake. If you have never had one, they are puffy, eggy and buttery. The texture reminds me of a popover. Instead of making the usual sweet variety, I decided to try a Savory Dutch Baby.
The fun of making this is picking out your toppings. I went with what I already had in the refrigerator: Diced country ham, spinach, cherry tomatoes, and sharp cheddar cheese. It was delicious. I prepared the toppings while the Savory Dutch Baby was baking.
Here are some topping ideas:
- Diced country ham, cherry tomatoes, spinach, and cheddar cheese;
- Fried eggs, avocado, and shaved ham;
- Fresh burrata cheese, thinly sliced prosciutto, parmesan cheese, and arugula;
- Smoked salmon, crème fraîche, and sliced green onions;
- Crisp bacon, and sauteed red peppers, onions, and pepper jack cheese;
- Sauteed asparagus, fresh basil, tomato slices, and Fontina cheese.